My Solution

Drug use and its effect on Women

Drugs and Syringe Exchange Programs

Current Efforts

Advertisements

Education and the Church

Plan of Prevention

Limitations

References

Home

As the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) problem continue to destroy lives all over the Bronx, the public authorities attempt to contain it with minimal results. The national AIDS rate per 100,000 people is 340 while the Bronx’s is 2,313. In my zip code, 10457, the AIDS rate is 4,041. In other words, since 1981, one out of seventeen people in my zip code has AIDS. Although the Bronx as a whole has many problems that contribute towards AIDS, such as crime, I feel that my zip code’s main problem related to AIDS is drug use. Currently, Injection Drug User (IDU) cases take up 46% of all AIDS cases in the Bronx. Current syringe exchange programs do not seem to be effective because of the high AIDS rate prevalent throughout the Bronx. Creating an effective program to fight AIDS is not easy, especially in a place as urbanized as New York City. AIDS is not discriminating on sex either; a previously homosexual virus is now running rampant through homosexual and IDU transmissions in women. If we can stop drug use by women, would it have an impact on the AIDS scene in the Bronx? The high population makes it easier for AIDS to spread; the virus is already out of control and containment seems nearly impossible. If only a few steps are taken to organize a program that combats drug use among women, then a dent can finally be made in the disaster zone that is the Bronx.