Hekla                       1 

Hazards

Creating a hazard map is a difficult process that takes into account the eruptive history of the volcano and the geological features surrounding the volcano. 

Creating a map that shows lava flows is complicated by the fact that Hekla does not have one main vent, but opens along a long fissure.  Lava can flow from any point along this fissure and it is hard to predict where that point will be.  With Hekla, there are also radial and regional fissures that open up and erupt lava.  This makes determining where the lava will flow very difficult. 

However, by looking at maps that show the historical flows and by looking at the shape of the volcano, I have developed two hazard maps (only for a school project, these are NOT real hazard maps).  The maps show the different sizes of eruptions that have taken place at Hekla and the different types.  Below are hazard maps for a small scale eruption, with a shorter lava flow and smaller amounts of erupted tephra, and maps depicting hazards for larger eruptions with more erupted material.  I decided to split these maps up because Hekla has been very active in the modern era, but erupts very differently at different times.  Because of Hekla’s location, sometimes the magma has a chance to cool and erupts very violently, other times there is an effusive eruption with very little ash fall out.  Examples of these different styles would include comparing the eruptions in 1104, 1693, 1766, and 1845 to an eruption in 1980.  The eruption types are drastically different.  Eruptions like the one in 1104, were very explosive and ash went very far distances.  However, the eruption in 1980 was effusive with very little ash. 

Looking at ash fall is important because after major eruptions, people living in areas where there was ash fall have experienced problems with fluorine.  The fluorine from the ash gets into the ground water and is toxic to grazing animals in the area. 

1104 Eruption

12

This map shows the tephra distribution from the 1104 AD eruption of Mt. Hekla.

1980 Eruption13                                         Historical Lava Flows14

This map shows the tephra distribution from the 1980 eruption of Mt. Hekla.                                 This Map shows the historical lava flows from eruptions of Mt. Hekla.

My Hazard Maps

Lava Hazards

This map was created for a school project, it is not an official hazard map.

For this map, I looked at the historical flows and saw that largest eruptions never went more than 10 km away from any point along the fissure, and even less distance off the sides of the fissure.  The smaller eruptions never went more than 5 km away from any point along the fissure.  The blue line on this map represents the hazard area for lava flow in a large eruption and the yellow line represents the hazard area for lava flow during a small eruption.  Normally, hazard areas for lava flows follow the topographic features of an area.  Because it is very hard to predict where along the fissure lava will flow during an eruption, I decided to circle the entire area.  I do not think this is very problematic for property owners because the area is pretty uninhabited.

Tephra Hazards

These maps were created for a school project, they are not official hazard maps.

For these maps, I again looked at historical maps.  I drew in isopach lines that show the minimum depth of ash fall in any given area.  For example, in the red circle, ash fall will be greater than twenty centimeters.  In the area encompassed by the green circle, ash fall will be at least 2cm.  I drew the circles tilted towards the north/north east because that is the prevailing wind direction in this area.  However, wind direction can change with a passing storm or front, and turn the dispersion area in a different direction.   The maps were split up based on eruption size because of the obvious difference in scale.  I think that the tephra hazard maps are more important to the public because the winds can blow the ash into populated areas and the fluorine in the ash can poison livestock. 

Smaller Eruptions15

Bigger Eruptions15

What kind of eruption will there be?

Hekla is a unique volcano because its eruption style changes so drastically.  The way Hekla erupts seems to correlate with the length of the repose period.  When Hekla erupts frequently, the eruption tends to be an effusive one, with little tephra dispersal.  When there is a long repose period, Hekla tends to erupt more violently.   For example, the eruptive history shows that before the large eruption in 1845 there was almost 80 years of quiet.  This can be contrasted with the eruption smaller, effusive eruption in 2000 that had only nine years of quiet preceding it.  The pattern right now seems to show that Hekla erupts about every ten years.  The eruptions, like the one in 2000, tend to be small and effusive and do not last for very long. 29, 17

Questions about this site? Contact me @ mcrackel@mail.colgate.edu