Home Page

Is There A Problem? Part 2

The Beginning

High School Experience

Media Influence

Is There A Problem? Part 1

Is There A Problem? Part 2

Hispanic Perspective

Conclusion

Excel Chart

Works Cited

The problem might not have been with Onondaga County alone but with the entire state of New York as a whole. If we look at the cumulative AIDS rates, New York State rivals the rates of the nation. After further investigation, I became aware of the fact that New York is the state in which the most reports of AIDS, people living with AIDS/HIV live (25). Now it was clear why AIDS held such a large part in the media. Therefore, although my specific county may not be leading in cumulative AIDS cases, the state as a whole is.

The issue of whether or not I feel there is a problem is divided. As a state, I feel there is a severe problem. However, when I look at it from a country point of view, the issue doesn’t appear to be as severe. While Onondaga County is a leading county for AIDS rates in New York, it is not the lead. If I break it down even further, and look at it by zip code, 13205 has a problem. When you compare 13205 to 13252 (Skaneateles) the difference in cumulative AIDS cases is 105:6. Furthermore, the cumulative AIDS rate is 509:70. More people are likely to have AIDS near 13205 than 13152. From this perspective I would have to get into the differences of the two areas, which might be due to median income level and race population.