Introduction

Home

Race

Economy

Education

Conclusion

Graphs

Maps

AIDS is clearly present in Washington D.C. which has the number one AIDS rate in all of the U.S. In D.C., one in 20 people is HIV-positive. Now after comparing D.C. to the nation, we will now look at the correlations between demographic data and AIDS rates of the wards.

Correlation, or a parallel, is a relationship in which two or more things are mutual or complementary, or one thing is caused by another. In order to have 95% confidence a minimum correlation a coefficient of .811 is needed. The correlation means that there is a relationship between the two factors but one does not depend on the other. The closer to -1 or 1 the value of the correlation is, the more negatively or positively correlated the data points are, respectively. Here we are comparing the AIDS or HIV/AIDS rate, and another attribute about the wards in Washington D.C. There are different divisions that should be looked at; economy, race, and education.

I hypothesized that there would be correlations between the poverty rate, the percent African American population rate, and the percent of the population without a high school diploma. I guessed that there would be a connection between these issues because in my last paper I discussed the affects of education, the economy, and race on the AIDS rate. Surprisingly, I did not find any strong correlations between the AIDS, poverty, race, and education rates.