HOME

INTRODUCTION

MY STORY DATA CONCLUSION

CONCLUSION

I don’t think that the State of Utah is providing enough data about the HIV/AIDS epidemic. I wonder why this information is so vague, but I see that it supports the lack of information in my High School health class, and in the media. No one in Utah treats HIV/AIDS as a serious problem. WHY NOT?! This was a hard case for me because I couldn’t find sufficient data. All that was provided was HIV/AIDS surveillance at a county level when 76.2% of the population lives in 4 counties out of 29. Why isn’t this data presented as a zip code, city, or even general area (North, South, East, or West)? I have no idea where the problem is specifically at because of the lack of data. If I were to guess I would say the highest rate of HIV/AIDS would be about a block away from the block that is owned by the Mormon Church. If you were to walk downtown Salt Lake you would see that the nicest part of town and the worst part of town are so close it’s scary, because you would think that a community that owned a block would try to better the surrounding neighborhoods. Instead they are ignoring them. There are people in Utah that have been taught to shun the fact that HIV/AIDS is real and if asked would deny that AIDS could exist in such a perfect place. It is sick. The general public of Utah should be aware of critical health issues and where the problem is to help solve it. If the rates of HIV/AIDS continues on its projected course (to become more prevalent everywhere) and the State of Utah does nothing about it, it will be a full force epidemic. Supplies will be in demand and people will die regardless of their race, age, sex, location, or even religion. Maybe this is what it will take for the State of Utah to acknowledge that HIV/AIDS is a reality and needs to be addressed now. It is a sad certainty that when we uncover the truth about AIDS in Utah it will be too late for too many people.

http://www.cvrti.utah.edu/contact/uofu.jpg

BACK HOME