THe Solution !

Home

Statistics

First Impressions

Correlations

What's Going on?

My Plan

Appendix

Maps

My plan is to educated young individuals, particularly in their sophomore year of high school, on sexually transmitted diseases in general but with a strong emphasis on HIV/AIDS because of the circumstances in the Bronx. It would seem to be something like a sex education class but it is not, this class would go a step further looking into the history of the disease. This class will be private and the students will be open to discuss any relevant topic pertaining to any STD. This privacy will allow for questions to come about in the open and the students will become more knowledgeable and perhaps in the future think about any sexual activities.In order to fund this section of my solution, I would have to present my idea to the board of education so that they can provide funding for books, pens, paper, textbooks, things that would normally be needed within the classroom setting. Aside from the essential items, money for trips to visit doctors who are researching AIDS or for creating lab experiments that would show students about HIV and the cycle that it undergoes before a patient is declared to have AIDS. After the school or during the summer, the students will have to go to an internship for a particular amount of hours in order to graduate. This will further enforce the importance and relevance of AIDS within our society.

Aside from educating the youth inside of schools, with much consideration to my race, I believe that there should be a program ran by the church for the community. Puerto Ricans for the most part are religious and pertain to the Roman Catholic Church. The Catholic Church is very strict and for the church to even consider addressing that population it would allow for the community to feel comfortable for not being criticized. I will work with the church to create a program in which will help to benefit the youth and the older populations. The church will promote group or individual counseling. These counseling sessions would be through games, in order to teach people in an interactive way the different values that we should uphold. This program will benefit the HIV positive individuals because they will be treated as equal, where as the HIV- positive person will not need to be identified. This program will stimulate the maturity of the people, where as instead of mocking or creating false assumptions on HIV infected people the community will understand how a person is like with HIV/AIDS. In addition to the program, I will also work on creating a smaller organization which will have a group of students to go on special missions. These missions would be to visit shelters, schools, clinics, community centers (ie. Kips Bay or YMCA) and even homes to spread knowledge on HIV/AIDS in the area and to invite them to the group sessions. Also, to focus on how to help AIDS patients and how can we prevent more cases from arising.  This organization would also go out into the clinics and try to improve the waiting area conditions because most people tend to feel a little overwhelmed, nervous, or anxious while their waiting so they might try to read or view things that will help ease them. One way in which we can help would be by creating HIV/AIDS pamphlets that address the area in which you are in, instead of looking at the national or county rate in which seems so insignificant to one. There is also the other option of creating an indirect video counseling. This will help because instead of a person just looking through pamphlets that do not provide any pertinent information, the person can see the video in which will be more calming and the person will be able to relate to the ideas in the video or even the person talking. This program could be funded by the church gatherings. If not, I predict the costs to range between $2,000 and $3,000.

The absolute solution has yet to find its way to us, but even so the preventive measures we are trying to provide our community with does offer help. It takes initiative and courage to make an attempt at helping our society with this epidemic. A slight attempt will help a few people rather than no one. The knowledge I have gained will go to educating friends and family members on the issues around the epidemic. I feel that this is what can be done now on a small scale, soon bigger things can happen and until then let our education guide us for education is the key to progress. Let us live in a progressive society without AIDS.