Core 116

The Cold Hard Facts About AIDS in Connecticut

RaceEconomic FactorsEthnic OriginsHomeHealth/DrugsConclusionsTablesSourcesMaps

Correlations Between Household-Type/Education and AIDS Rate

After researching the impact that race had on the AIDS rate, I decided to investigate the other major group affected by the virus – the intravenous drug users. In order to prove that certain areas were more likely to maintain higher rates of AIDS cases because they were sites of a great deal of drug use, I attempted to correlate factors commonly associated with drug use.

I looked at the percentage of unmarried partner households, the percentage of the population that worked at home, the percentage of the population with a bachelor’s degree, and the percentage without a high school degree. I hypothesized that the portion of the population that participated in intravenous drug use was less likely to work at home or have attained a bachelor’s degree. Similarly, I conjectured that they were more likely to have dropped out of school before receiving their diploma and to currently live in unmarried partner households.

Household and Educational Factors

Correlation Number

% of Unmarried Partner Households

0.872871928

% of Population That Worked at Home

-0.422779

% of Population with a BA

-0.624980

% of Population Without a HS Degree

0.817928

After calculating the correlations, I found that my assumptions were indeed correct. The percentages of unmarried partner households and of persons without a high school degree positively correlated with the AIDS rate

... while the percentages of persons that worked at home and that had their BA correlated negatively with the AIDS rate.