Orange County New York

AIDS Perspectives

Newspaper

Home

Introduction

How I met AIDS

School

Interviews

Mom's Work

Media

Data

I read The Times Herald Record, which is the daily local newspaper published in Middletown, New York.  My starting impression of AIDS had a lot to do with this one quote, “Outside New York City, the Hudson Valley has the highest infection rate of in the state.”  (2)  Because of the known high rate of the Hudson Valley, I was surprised of the lack of articles in the local newspaper.  Throughout the year, there were several short articles announcing free HIV testing in Newburgh or AIDS/HIV support meetings.  There were also a few articles responding to fundraising in Orange County for AIDS and ARCS, AIDS Related Community Services, which is the second largest foundation for AIDS in the state.  Although throughout the year there are a few articles dedicated to the Hudson Valley’s high rate of AIDS, the majority of the articles were from World AIDS Day in Newburgh. 

On December 1, the headlines read, “Crusader fights AIDS on Newburgh Streets,” “Local Victim Fights Stigma of AIDS,” and “Newburgh Marchers Take AIDS Message to the People.”  This year, many articles highlighted the AIDS awareness parade in Newburgh, New York.  “In Newburgh, about 75 people marched behind African drummers from St. Mary’s Church to the Newburgh Free Library, where they sang and dance.”  (3)  When I read this article, I was alarmed because I didn’t think 75 people were a reasonable representation of Newburgh. 

Some articles expressed Newburgh’s concern of prostitutes being very in risk of HIV/AIDS because of the continuous cycle of sex and drugs.  In July 200, Wayne Hall says in his article, “The sex-industry workers don't come in unless they're very sick, and when we see them here at the center, they are in such bad shape, and we don't know how they stayed out there.”  He articulates that no one really knows how many prostitutes HIV positive are really walking around Newburgh.  Another quote that articulated a strong cry for the disease was in 2001, “Mayor Andrew Marino issued the AIDS Day proclamation and spoke of his own brush with the disease: a “serious drug addiction” he overcame without contracting the illness (AIDS).  ‘I was blessed,’ he said.”  (4)  It is evident that Newburgh is trying to promote AIDS awareness, but the other places that have a significantly high rate?  For instance, I hardly found any articles for Middletown or Chester.  Why aren’t these communities vocal about AIDS awareness?