Funding

Next PagePrevious Page

The total cost of both programs is $34,147. However, finding funding for the project will be very difficult. In November, the state of Ohio rejected a $1.25 million grant for HIV education. The grant would have been paid out as $250,000 a year for five years (7). Earl Pike, the director of the AIDS taskforce of Greater Cleveland, stated “ I am stunned” and “I heard from two separate sources that ODE (Ohio Department of Education) is being overwhelmed. I think it’s touching a nerve with parents, progressives, with everyone saying ‘tell me again why ODE is not applying’” (7).  Earlier that year Pike noted the deficits that occurred in the past which were as high as $150,000 (14).  He admitted that a program where AIDS Taskforce volunteers provide rides to doctors offices in the Taskforce van might be ending because it costs $47,000 a year but the state grant is only worth $30,000.  He confided: “ I don’t see how it’s possible for us to sustain the van service” (14). Private investments might already be exhausted, because they are probably being allocated to the AIDS Taskforce of Greater Cleveland. Fundraising and private investments would be necessary for running the two programs.

AIDS in Cleveland Homepage                        Solutions Homepage