AIDS In Onondaga County

Impressions On AIDS

Correlational Analysis

Solutions

Presentation

Impressions on AIDS

The media is one of the largest sources of information for the fast paced world we live in, often times portraying and exaggerating news. But what happens when there is a lack of information, lack of portrayal, or little coverage on a subject seemingly of great importance? I found myself in this situation when questioned regarding AIDS statistics from my hometown of Baldwinsville, NY, just ten minutes northwest of Syracuse, the thriving metropolis of central New York.

Living in Baldwinsville was always referred to as living in “The Bubble”, its own enclosed little village removed from the problems and struggles of the real world. It wasn’t that I was unaware of the world’s problems; as a matter of fact I watched CNN and read the newspaper daily. It was just that Baldwinsville seemed to have its own problems, far removed and different from the rest of the world. However, the relative size of Baldwinsville and its 13027 area code, a total population of roughly 30,000 people, would make it seem that it was not completely removed, statistically speaking, from average  issues and problems faced by America at large. AIDS, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, has been one of the most deadly viruses experienced by the human race since the early 1980’s. We have yet to find a cure. When I was informed that only 15 people since 1980 have contracted AIDS in 13027, my initial guess of 113, more than 750% off, seemed fool hardy. The same mistake came when estimating the cumulative AIDS rate in the Syracuse area, as I guessed highly once again. Why?

Continue

Photos Of Baldwinsville, NY

.

Baldwinsville Library