My Story

Home
My Story
Education
Media

I moved to Pittsburgh my senior year of high school in order to live with my father and sister. Previously, I had been residing in Long Beach, California, with my mother, step father, and younger brother, George. George was diagnosed with hemophilia less than 3 hours after he was born. In April of 1993, my parents were concerned. Hemophiliacs had been prime victims of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the 80s, and well, they weren’t exactly sure the government had completely secured the blood banks. It was a family decision we all had to make, let George receive blood transfusions and factor 9 from the blood banks and test labs, or spend a grueling 3 hours every month donating the blood for him. This particular decision was a hard one, seeing as it would not only affect George and my parents, but also my sister and me as well.

Data & Awareness

http://www.gocarlo.com/lagalerie/images/pgh-gazette-large.jpg  
Conclusion
Works Cited

George Love  

Now, while my sister, Natalie, and I were highly underage for giving blood, the clinic we were involved in was allowed to use us for factor 9 platelets. Ever since the age of 6, I can remember heading down to the North-Suburban Pediatrics Clinic to give blood and, in turn, factor 9 in order to keep my brother alive. While these procedures may have been an overdose of parental paranoia, the idea of letting George get transfusions from anyone else sounded completely ludicrous. Over 1,600 hemophiliacs had already died as a cause of AIDS; there was no way we were going to let George add to that number (Donnelly, 1).