My philosophy of education is founded upon several core beliefs that influence my approach to education and classroom teaching practice.
I believe that:

v     … all students can learn. Though students enter my classroom at many different levels of ability and preparedness, all students are capable of learning. Through differentiated instruction and with consideration for multiple intelligences, I do my part to give entrée to my students and make course material accessible for all. I hope to awaken a passion for learning in all of my students and encourage them to pursue individual educational interests outside of the classroom. 

v     … when I teach social studies, I teach more than an academic discipline. As a teacher, I must recognize that I am teaching human beings, not just students. We all enter the classroom carrying the baggage of our non-academic lives; for some, this baggage may interfere in the classroom. I take a positive, personal, approach to my students to try and help them overcome individual challenges. Adolescence can be a trying time; I offer guidance and support to navigate the increasingly complex social world.

v     … students should leave my classroom with the skills and compassion necessary for life in our global world. To be successful in our global society, students must know how to read, write and think critically; therefore these skills are practiced and highly prized in my classroom. It is also necessary for students to understand the implications for living in a global world. Through the examination of current events and critical thought about human needs and rights, students will become thoughtful, concerned, compassionate citizens.

v     … arts must be integrated into the classroom. For the social studies teacher, the arts are an invaluable resource. Not only is history brought to life through the use of music, drama and visual arts in the classroom, but arts integration allows students to draw on their multiple intelligences and develop critical thinking skills. Through art-making in the classroom, students may interpret and make meaning of content and their own lives according to constructivist principles. Additionally, as our society becomes increasingly visual, students must be media literate to understand the messages with which they are bombarded daily. Arts integration offers an excellent avenue for addressing media literacy.

v     … storytelling is a powerful teaching tool. Everyone, no matter what their background, comes to school carrying their own autobiography. By accessing personal stories, a teacher may link content material to personal experiences to the benefit of the classroom. An excellent storyteller is also able to capture their audience through detail and expression; a storyteller’s classroom is never boring!