Colgate
University
Some Notes On
Writing and Grading
Prof. Gregory
2002
Colgate Home P & R Home Dr. Gregory’s Home email Dr. Gregory

Use your own words. When writing, you should always use your own words. Plagiarism is unacceptable. Moreover, copying out of the text demonstrates, at best, only that you knew where to look for an answer to a question. I need to see that you understood the issue, and you can only show me that by using your own words. Sometimes authors use words in special ways or use special words. In those cases it permissible to use the same words, as long as you explain their special usages. If you feel you must quote from the text, do so sparingly, and explain the meaning and relevance of what you quote—never leave a quote to stand on its own.

On how to write a paper. There are a large number of places you can go for grammar and style advice. Some of your other Profs. may have required you to buy a book. Below I include a link to a writing web site that is rather helpful and relatively brief. I suggest you browse through it before writing your first paper. Keep in mind, however, that there is no formula for good writing, and you should not follow any advice blindly. Indeed, I do not agree with everything that the authors of that web page say (e.g., what they say on Passive Voice, That/Which, and We, seem unnecessarily prudish to me). If nothing else, look at what they have to say on the following topics: Definitions, Evidence, Elaboration, Overwriting, Plagiarism, Rhetorical Questions, Verb Tense, We/I. Here, then, is the link: (If anyone knows of a better web site, please let me know...)

How To Eschew Weasel Words...

How I grade. What follows is a rough indication of what I look for in grading papers. The required balance of ‘demonstrated understanding’ versus ‘critical insight’ depends somewhat on the questions asked and length of paper. You should never censor yourself—whether or not I ask for it, astute critical discussion always enhances a paper.

A, 4, 90+, Excellent — Papers receiving this grade clearly demonstrate advanced understanding of the basic concepts and issues in the text(s), sensitivity to the complexity and interconnectedness of those issues, and a detailed understanding of how the author is attempting to convey her ideas or support her position. In addition, these responses show critical insight either through critique of the text (questioning the author’s reasoning, suggesting alternatives, etc.) or through the raising of substantial and interesting questions concerning the interpretation of the text. Errors in grammar or spelling are minimal or nonexistent. The paper as a whole is tightly focussed and well-organized.

B, 3, 80-89, Good — Papers receiving this grade demonstrate a basic, but thorough, understanding of basic concepts and issues, at least some awareness of the complexity and interconnectedness of those issues, and a schematic understanding of how the author is attempting to support his position. Where understanding is lacking, an earnest attempt at interpreting the author is evident. In addition, these responses show a somewhat successful attempt at critical examination or questioning of the text. Errors in grammar or spelling are minimal. The paper as a whole is mostly focussed and well-organized.

C, 2, 70-79, Satisfactory — Papers receiving this grade demonstrate some (possibly incomplete) understanding of basic concepts and issues, little or poor awareness of the complexity and interconnectedness of those issues, and little or poor understanding of how the author is attempting to support his position. In addition, these responses show little or no earnest attempt at interpretation, critical examination, or questioning of the text. Errors in grammar or spelling are frequent. Paper lacks focus and is poorly organized.

F, 0, 0, Unsatisfactory — Papers receiving this grade have failed to demonstrate any degree of real understanding of basic concepts and issues, and lack evidence of an earnest attempt to do so.

Errors in grammar or spelling, or lack of focus/poor oganization can bring down what might otherwise be a promising paper. You’ll note that there is no D, 1, 65-69 grade listed. This is because C is the minimum acceptable. If your response does not meet the criteria for a C, you will receive an F. In general, I start out assuming you will perform well enough to receive a C, and, while reading, I look for reasons to push your grade up.

[ Top of Page |  Colgate Home |  P & R Home |  Dr. Gregory’s Home |  email Dr. Gregory ]