In the Name of God,

Infinite Tenderness, Eternal Kindness

Experiencing Islam, Religion 328

Omid Safi

Colgate University

Class Description

Grading:

This is a "reading" class. I take it seriously that the class is listed at the 300 level, and will treat it accordingly. You do not need to be a "P&R" concentrator to take this class. However, I do expect you to work hard, and to contribute to class discussions.

While I will lecture for part of the class almost every day, it will be conducted much more on a seminar model of examining your reactions to the reading material. The readings are engaging, and heavy: On average, there is about 50 pages of secondary material or about 60-70 pages of primary sources per class. If you have not done the readings, it will simply be impossible for you to participate in the discussion. While we will suffer from that, the main damage will be done to your own learning, and your participation grade (40% of class grade).

Class participation: 40%
(composed of in-class discussions, short weekly papers, and "talking points")

Weekly papers: Where you will be asked to synthesize your own reflections, the readings, and class discussions.

"Talking papers": Which you will bring with you to every class. A typed, one page paper consisting of two components:
1) one paragraph about the main thesis of the author, and one paragraph about how it relates to previous material you have read.
2) Three typed questions or comments you have about the assigned readings for that day.

Midterm and Final: each 30%.

The assignments that I tend to give are not "factual" exams, but interpretative essays. If you have not done the readings before you get the exam, and if you have not been in class, I can promise you that no amount of "pulling all nighters" will help you. On the other hand, if you have kept up with the material and have participated in the discussions, I think you will find them engaging, and dare I hope, pleasant, opportunities to analyze and synthesize your own reflections. All exams are take-home, open book, but not "open friend"! [See Honor Code]

Grading Scale:

So that there are no mis-understandings later on, I find it useful to share with you my definitions of what I expect for various grades:

A: Superb, Excellent. An ability to offer original and insightful analysis of the facts.

B: Solid Work. The facts have been grasped, and significant moves have been made to interpret the material in an analytical fashion. A "good" paper.

C: The student has made a reasonable attempt to attend the class, and has a fair grasp of the factual material presented. The analysis of these facts, and an attempt to contribute towards an original interpretation, however, is severely missing.

D: A simplistic familiarity with the subject mater can be gleamed through the assignments which have been turned in.

F: A disappointment—no attempt being shown on the behalf of the student to engage the material, to respect the parameters of the class and its schedule, or the turning in of assignment.

Required Sources:

Required for the class, bring the readings with you to each class.

1) Amsa Gull Hasan, American Muslims
2) William Chittick, Vision of Islam.
3) Asma Barlas, "Believing Women" In Islam.
4) Leila Ahmed, A Border Passage.
5) Karen Armstrong, Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet
6) Farid Esack, The Qur'an A Short Introduction
7) Carl Ernst and Bruce Lawrence, Martyrs of Love
8) Omid Safi, ed., Progressive Muslims
9) al-Maqasid:  Nawawi's Manual of Islam

While not required, you are strongly recommended to have a translation of Qur'an by Yusuf Ali, Arberry, or Muhammad Asad on hand.

Recommended for purchase CD: ocean of remembrance.

Web resources:

You would do well to acquaint yourselves with the following web-page,
and use it as a frequent point of entry and exploration around many of the issues we will be discussing:

Web Resource for Islamic Studies
(Courtesy of Dr. Alan Godlas)

Guide to Writing:

Many of us struggle at various times with writing analytical papers, and you might also find yourself at times struggling with one aspect or another of writing. In that case, you might find it useful to refer to a page I have put together, titled: "Research and Writing Guide for Students."

Now, click below to see the reading syllabus for this class:

Religion 328 Course Syllabus

Return to Omid Safi's Main Page