Religion 328, Experiencing Islam class

2003 Midterm

Dear friends…

Well, you asked, and here it is: your first midterm:

These questions require you to weave together your readings, the discussions in class, my lectures, and your own thoughts.   I am looking for some “factual” content, but more interested in how you reveal your understanding of processes, your analysis.

A few things: do be sure to type the papers, put your name on top, have page numbers, and staple them. When you refer to specific readings, it is sufficient to put the name of the author and then the page number, or in the case of the Qur’an the chapter and verse (i.e. 13:24). I want to see you use the books you have been assigned.

Here are the questions: I expect responses of at least 4 (but no more than 5)double spaced pages for each of the first TWO questions, and a one page response to the last question. In the past years, I have generally seen the better papers on this exam be around 9-10 pages or so.

1) I want to hear your reflections on the first part of the Shahadah: La ilaha illa Allah. Go beyond “there is no god but God.” What does this statement mean to Muslims?  What does it mean to different Muslims?   How does it shape Muslims’ worldview? Muslims’ way of conceptualizing the relationship between God, humanity, and the cosmos?   First, discuss what this term means to Chittick/Murata.     From their point of view of the Qur'an, what is truly Real, and what is illusion (“veil”)?  Who is responsible for that distinction, and why should it exist at all? In your answers, be sure to invoke such concepts as tawhid, aya, fitra, transcendence and immanence, and Divine Names (if not all of them, at least some).

Then (as if that wasn’t enough!), talk about what the same term Tawhid means to a Muslim feminist, Asma Barlas.   How does a concept of Tawhid enable her to rethink what it means to act as a Muslim in a human society?  IS the world unreal to Asma Barlas?     How does the idea of Tawhid become a tool in unreading patriarchy in the Qur’an?

2)  Here is you second question, which deserves 4 pages.  

Your roommate/uncle/professor says:  “Muslims take the Qur’an to be literally true.”     How would you challenge that statement?  What does that statement leave out?   Present Farid Esack and Asma Barlas’ theses on these matters.    How do issues like context and pre-text present themselves in the case of the Qur’an?    How they get highlighted for some contemporary Muslims, or get buried by other Muslims?   How will that change whether one looks at the Qur’an as having an “essential” meaning (say, misogynist or liberatory), or being capable of a multiplicity of meanings and agendas? 

3)  Here is the one page question:

We spent a good bit of time reading the narratives of prophets Adam, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and are now reading Prophet Muhammad’s.    Give me a sense of what you think the purpose of Prophets and Messengers in Islam is? How have their communities historically responded to them? How do the various narratives in the Qur’an reinforce a sense of similarity about their purpose? Why should they sound similar, from a Qur’anic perspective again? 

I hope this helps you get started in writing your midterms.   You have 12 days or so to do this, and turn it in by Monday, October 20th, 2003, at 4 Pm.   It has to be a paper copy, not an email attachment.

Remember to breathe.   Let this be a chance for you to shine, to show me how much you’ve learned, not just a means of stressing you out.

much love to you,

omid