Project 3:

Solutions to the AIDS Problem in My Community

The Rural Problem

Issues and Solutions in Indiana County

References

After gathering data and statistics and performing correlation analysis, I was still left with many questions about the specific HIV/AIDS problem in Indiana County.  None of my correlations from Project Two were of any value after removing Allegheny County from the equation.  In fact, the only thing, it seemed, that the remaining ten counties had in common was their status as rural areas in Pennsylvania.  Once I realized, given the disparity of useful information, that I would have a difficult, if not impossible time diagnosing the complex HIV/AIDS problem in my community on my own, I changed my focus to investigating what is currently being done in Indiana and other rural counties. I investigated rural problems and solutions, first consulting journals for scientific research and studies, and then by conducting telephone interviews with people involved in HIV/AIDS-related groups in Indiana County.

I was surprised by the success of my research. There have been a number of studies on HIV/AIDS in rural areas, providing consistent and useful data for diagnosing the problem in my own community.  Additionally, I was able to find four incredible resources in Southwestern Pennsylvania who were able to talk to me about their perceptions of the AIDS problem in rural Pennsylvania, and explain what they and the group they represent are doing to curb the spread of AIDS and provide care for those already infected.

back