Quick Links

Tables

Graphs

Maps

AIDS in Indiana County

Project Two: Correlations

Insignificant Correlations

There were numerous data that I research and worked with, but that did not have significant correlation to AIDS incidence. 

I expected there to be a positive correlation to living in an urban rather than rural area, since the greatest number of AIDS cases and highest AIDS rate were in Allegheny County, the most metropolitan of all Southwestern Pennsylvanian counties, but there was no significant correlation (Map 13; Map 14; Table 11).[17] 

I also guessed that Median Income would relate to the AIDS rate, figuring that the more money one makes, the less likely he is to get AIDS.  Again, though, the correlation was very insignificant, although positive as I expected (Table 12).[18] 

Along the same lines, I figured that poverty status might correlate to the AIDS rate in that those below the poverty line would be more likely to get AIDS.  Although correlations were insignificant, I was surprised to find that the extremely weak correlation to living below the poverty line was actually negative (Table 13).[19] 

I also considered the relationship between AIDS rates and the percentage of the population receiving public assistance, guessing that receiving public income might correlate to contracting AIDS.  It was a stab in the dark, and, alas, did not produce a significant correlation (Table 14).[20] 

back