Quick Links

Tables

Graphs

Maps

AIDS in Indiana County

Project Two: Correlations

Educational Attainment Correlations

Since so much of my data frustratingly produced little correlation to the AIDS rate when Allegheny County was removed, I fervently searched for something, anything that would have significant and relatively certain meaning.  Necessity led me to think outside of the box and to consider, among other things, the highest level of educational attainment in relation to AIDS incidence.[14]  I compounded the vast data into simpler categories, found correlation coefficients, and analyzed some interesting results (Table 8).  I figured that there would be a negative correlation between the level of education and AIDS rate; I assumed that the more educated one is, the less likely he is to have AIDS.  It was quite odd, then, to find a positive correlation for receiving a professional school degree.  After removing Allegheny County, the outlier yet again, the correlation actually became negative, although insignificant (Graph 6; Graph 6a).  I also examined the Doctorate population closer, hoping that removing Allegheny County would produce a more significant correlation.  I noticed that Indiana County was an outlier as well, having an unusually high percentage of doctors because of the state university therein, Indiana University of Pennsylvania (Graph 7).  After removing these two counties, there was a relatively strong negative correlation, not unusual following my previous assumptions (Graph 7a).  (See also Map 7; Map 8).

back