Who Needs Help?

Paper Three

According to my data, Newburgh and Middletown are high incidence areas, which are way over the national cumulative rate per 100,000 people. We can infer that Newburgh and Middletown are likely to have a higher AIDS rate because of their dense population.  Because Orange County is mostly rural and suburban, Middletown and Newburgh’s urban culture is very rare.  For instance, according to my race statistics, Middletown and Newburgh have one of the highest percentages for Hispanics and Blacks in Orange County.  Unfortunately, Blacks and Hispanics also have the highest AIDS rate in Orange County.  Sherri Watkins notes the reasons for disparity between people of color and whites, “While race and ethnicity themselves are not risk factors for HIV infection, they are associated with key factors in the United States that determine health factors such as poverty, access to healthcare, health care-seeking behaviors, illicit drug use, and high rates of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).”  (1) 

With this information, we can see the importance of addressing HIV/AIDS prevention in these communities within Newburgh and Middletown.  Another reason issues in Newburgh and Middletown should be addressed is because these cities both have the highest percent of the population below the poverty line and financial public assistance.  Because of these increasing underprivileged and poor population, we can infer that health benefits and insurance lack especially in these areas.  Using my research from “Statistics,” we can conclude that the low income Black and Hispanic population in Middletown and Newburgh desperately need help.  If I was public health official, in order to solve the prevention problem of HIV/AIDS, I would make sure that no matter their demographics I would provide an accessible health program for all residents.