What influenced my guess?

My estimate was very large in comparison with my actual numbers. I guessed a thousand. I think that my number was so large because of my family history and the constant bombardment of AIDS awareness campaigns and other sex education pamphlets. Now that I really think about what I what I guessed it makes not since considering the fact that I live in a rather elderly part of town and I doubt that any of my neighbors have AIDS or any other ailment like it.

I also thought that my numbers would be higher because there is a reform school in the area as well as a few boarding schools. These small groups could have greatly affected my numbers because they are coming from undetermined locations. Being a suburb of New York city is another possible explanation for my guess. Where I live is a hour and a half drive to the city, there is also a train that runs from Orange County to the city and only takes about 45 minutes It is reasonable to assume that the people surrounding me are making regular trips into the city to experience the lifestyle that it has to offer.

While my numbers are below the national average there are zip codes surrounding mine that have a definite issue.  The highest rate was 1,373, more than 4 times the national average. (1) I cannot really pinpoint why the numbers are so very high, but it is my guess that this has some relationship with the poverty that can be found within and around that area. That area is also populated with many minorities and as it is shown in chart 8, the rate of Black people to contract this disease is 8 times higher than their white neighbors.

back to homepage