Putting it Together

Together, the numbers and figures add up. They indicate a true problem, but there is an inconsistency. When I see Philadelphia, I notice the gleam of the sculptures in Love Park, the towering statue of William Penn, the bustling shops of South Street, and the manicured Art Museum steps. The media helps maintain this ideal by glossing over the immediate problem. In the newspapers, AIDS is a disease in Africa or it is a fading problem. Yet, the typical AIDS patient sees an entirely different Philadelphia. The typical AIDS patient lives in the poorest parts of the city, and receives inconsistent healthcare at best. The typical AIDS patient was a gay male. The typical AIDS patient is now black. The typical AIDS patient is a drug user. The typical AIDS patient is a prisoner. The typical AIDS patient is an impoverished female. The typical AIDS patient is anything but typical. There are some experts or better-read citizens that may recognize this current health issue in Philadelphia, but I am not among them. The people of Philadelphia, and those at the highest risk, are not among them. This is the real problem.

Last                                                                                               Home                                                                                                  Next