Final Thoughts

Back to Homepage

BAS Homepage

Text Box: *

However, the four articles mentioned in “media coverage” were only four of a very small number of articles that were worthy of mentioning. Of the one thousand articles I found, only about 50 were actually related to AIDS and of those, only about 10 were of the nature similar to the four I mentioned. This shows a clear problem where AIDS is not discussed nearly enough in my neighborhood. This lack of coverage gives people the idea of no hope. We already know it’s a problem. If mentioned to anyone, I am sure they know that AIDS is a widespread and deadly disease, but nothing is being done. I believe that since places like the Bronx have been given such stereotypes of being crime infested and overly impoverished, and writers mostly give the relation between high AIDS rates and high rates of poverty, that only lessens the public’s hope of changing anything. Maybe if everyone steered clear of mentioning the relationship between poverty and AIDS and focused more on articles like the one about the teens, then maybe the areas that are impoverished, like my hometown, will somehow gain the courage to do something to decrease cumulative AIDS rates.

This picture is the logo from the official website of BAS (Bronx AIDS Services). This organization provides assistance and support for people with AIDS living in the Bronx. The link is listed on the left.

Text Box: *

Text Box: http://www.diagraphic.com/images/brnxhero.gif